DaveS, thanks for advising and taking the time to look at this.

After further diags, I think I have figured out what was causing this.
Because I wanted to remove the little share icon at the bottom right, In my
layout.html, I had disabled js/share.js by inserting a comment hash:
script src="{{#=URL(....
Which I thought was an OK way to do that.

But - disabling the share.js breaks the sorting.
When enabled - I can sort the data by click the id column (i.e. ascending,
then descending etc...) in appadmin
When disabled - I cannot sort the data in this way. It is particularly
noticeable when you have many pages of records.

So - it seems share.js is required for appadmin to sort the data.
I thought share.js was only for social sharing - which I don't need in my
app. I guess I could just have a different layout file just for appadmin,
but is begs the questions though:
1) Do we know why share.js is necessary for appadmin data sorting?
2) Can I disabled social sharing in another way (i.e. retaining share.js)?

If not, maybe one of the project team can advise.