This is wrong:

The reason is that it would break if the path_info.count('/')!=2 in the
current page.

These two produce the same net effect:

I would use args if 'lookup' GETs a persistent object that resides inDB and
I would use vars if it GETs the result of a computation and you are passing
imput parameters. Anyway, this is purely for aesthetic reasons.