> I have other, pre-existing tables I need to query data from, so using the
> db.table1 syntax won't work without re-creating them entirely (I think).

What do you mean by "re-creating them entirely?" You certainly don't have
to re-create the actual tables in the database. Though you would have to
define web2py DAL models so the DAL knows how to interact with the database
tables. You can get started with this with one of the extract_*_models.py
files from the /web2py/scripts folder.

Anthony