Couldn't yo run your application in a normal python environment (with a
sqlite memory db for example) ?
I'm doing that for quick testing phases, before testing in devapp server
and in full GAe environment.
Thus I'm able to produce the updated language files.

Otherwise, I think there is a script or an admin tool to populate the
language files, but I've never used it (or when I tried I stumbled upon the
bug https://github.com/web2py/web2py/issues/1348 which may not be an issue
for you).