On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 12:47:04 PM UTC-4, Joe  Barnhart wrote:
> Hmm... That's gonna be a problem.
>

> This is occurring in an SQLFORM... which is in a modal pop-up box... over a
> tabbed structure with about 5 more SQLFORMS...  plus 5 or 6 jQuery
> DataTables... all powered by the same basic set of 4 or 5 tables.  It will
> take a solid day to boil it down to a simpler example which could be posted
> successfully.

Why can't you show the traceback?

Also, what do you mean the field is bound to the same table in other queries?
Is that in the same request? Give us some details.

> I'm hoping to get a sense of the philosophy of the new code, so I can debug
> it myself and figure out if it could be fixed for this case.  It seems that
> each Field is "bound" to a Table when a query is performed.  I presume this
> binding has always occurred, yet now it is causing this obscure error.  I'm
> not sure why it would ever be an error to bind the same field to the same
> table, and it seems that this "case" should be the most frequently
> encountered.

I'm not sure why the code now checks for an existing table, but perhaps it
would at least make sense to allow re-binding to the same table (though would
be good to know why that is even happening to begin with).

> Now I'll admit it DOES bother me A LOT to place a database instance INSIDE
> the Field and the Table objects.  I'd think that would be a very poor idea if
> you wanted your design to be a clean and free from hidden side effects.

What is the problem, and what alternative do you purpose?

> My biggest fear is that DAL has taken a direction which will make it
> incompatible with my use, and that I'll never be able to use 2.15.1 or later
> versions.

Not sure where this is coming from - this is one bug from one new line of code.
Either you're doing something wrong and will need to make an adjustment, or
there is a bug in the DAL that needs to be fixed.

Antony