I am getting this error only when searching the auth_membership table

I have put in a basic 'appadmin' in my webapp. I call it 'tooladmin' to
differentiate from the built in stuff.

I use this function to edit any database table:
def manage_table():
    tablename = request.args(0)
    pagetitle = H4('{0} {1}'.format(T('Manage'), tablename))
    buttongroup = [_btn_index()]
    table = db[tablename]
    pagecontent = SQLFORM.grid(table, args=[request.args(0)])

    response.view = 'tooladmin_core.html'
    return dict(pagetitle=pagetitle, buttongroup=buttongroup,
pagecontent=pagecontent)

The search feature on the SQLFORM.grid is throwing this error when
searching the auth_membership table:

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "E:\web2py\gluon\restricted.py", line 227, in restricted
    exec ccode in environment
  File "E:/web2py/applications/OfferTool/controllers/tooladmin.py"
<http://127.0.0.1:8000/admin/edit/OfferTool/controllers/tooladmin.py>, line
262, in <module>
  File "E:\web2py\gluon\globals.py", line 417, in <lambda>
    self._caller = lambda f: f()
  File "E:/web2py/applications/OfferTool/controllers/tooladmin.py"
<http://127.0.0.1:8000/admin/edit/OfferTool/controllers/tooladmin.py>, line
136, in manage_table
    pagecontent = SQLFORM.grid(table, args=[request.args(0)])
  File "E:\web2py\gluon\sqlhtml.py", line 2526, in grid
    subquery = SQLFORM.build_query(sfields, keywords)
  File "E:\web2py\gluon\sqlhtml.py", line 1827, in build_query
    ) for k in key.split()])
TypeError: reduce() of empty sequence with no initial value