I look at sphinx a long time ago, so you kind of lost me now... But I
tought after I press send that fact that web2py doc is available with
readthedoc which is (correct me if I am wrong) base on sphinx, so web2py is
suppose to work with sphinx... But web2py apps, I guess it another story,
for some of the reasons you mention... About request and other web2py
environnement objects maybe you can work something base on this workaround
related to IDE :

http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/14/other-recipes#Using-general-purpose-IDEs-with-web2py