Is it considered kosher for controller functions to add their own custom
data to the request object?  I didn't see anything in the docs about this.
For instance if a controller wants to do request.some_stuff = 123, is that
"allowed"?

The reason for this is that I have some library functions called by
controllers that may need access to information that could be in the
request, or they can fall back to a default.  I would prefer not to make
these library functions accept this extra information as a parameter, but
rather have them look to see if it is available in the current request, and
use it if so, otherwise fall back to the default.  This information would
not normally be available on the request object, but is derived from
request.args, so the controller function could store this "processed"
version of args on the request object for use by other functions later.  (I
don't want to store it in session because it really is supposed to be
request-local and shouldn't persist from one request to another.)