I had about 10 records. The more records I put in the more it did not work,
i.e pick the last 10. I get the whole db records. I think the
select().count() comes in handy here. Only how to work it out...

On 30 Oct 2017 9:03 PM, "Dave S" <snidely....@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 12:10:19 PM UTC-7, Anthony wrote:

> On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 7:37:40 PM UTC-4, Dave S wrote:
>>

>> On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 7:26:48 AM UTC-7, Anthony wrote:
>>>
>>> There's no need to select the extra record and then drop it via Python.
>>> Instead you can just change the range of the limitby tuple to get exactly
>>> the records you want.
>>>

>> Perhaps the issue is not knowing how many records there are.  Solvable by
>> doing a count(), but then you're making two queries (to get the count, and
>> then to get the records).
>>

> If limitby(0, 10) followed by slicing off the last record via [:-1] gets
> you the records you want, then so does limitby(0, 9) with no slicing,
> regardless of the overall record count.
>
> Anthony

What you say is true, but I took limitby(0,10) to be a specific example,
and that the general case was the real question, where you don't know how
many records are involved.  On the other hand, I am familiar with the idea
of just getting a snapshot of the most recent records; I do that in one of
my projects, and a fixed limitby() works beautifully, given the proper
orderby().

/dps

Google Groups "web2py-users" group.
topic/web2py/jOt3JLi8vJw/unsubscribe.