You'll need the links to trigger Ajax requests. web2py includes some
relevant built-in functionality for this -- see the documentation for the
A() helper: http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/05/the-views#A. You
can use either (1) the "callback" and "target" arguments or (2) the "cid"
argument in conjunction with an Ajax component
<http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/12/components-and-plugins#Components--LOAD-and-Ajax>
.

Anthony