just for clarity:
JQuery is a Javascript library. Javascript doesn't have any relation to
Java. Web2py also has nothing to do with Java. There is a misunderstanding
when you talk about Java.
And yes, to do what you need, you should have understanding javascript.
JQuery is quite enough for a simple application with some ajax tricks like
yours. If you want to develop  a complex application with a rich UI, you
have to study javascript much deeper, after that you won't have any
questions about which library/framework  you'd better use (D3, Vue,
Angular, React, Backbone, Knockout,  Ember ...+tons of others)