I understand that there is no DEFAULT VALIDATOR for 'list:string', but it
seems that is not possible to use IS_LENGTH at all.
Ok, I have used onvalidation.

Another problem:
form = SQLFORM.factory(
        Field("auswahl", "list:string"),
        )

If there is only one item in "auswahl" then the type of form.vars.auswahl
is string.
If there is more than one item, the type is list.

This is annoying, because: if I want to know how many items are in the list
"auswahl" I cannot use len(form.vars.auswahl). I have to write something
like
len(form.vars.auswahl) if isinstance(form.vars.auswahl, list) else 1
Not very pythonic.

Or did I miss something?