Hi,

I agree to what *vinyldarkscratch * wrote on Github*: "*Since all the
Python 2/3 compatibility has already been implemented in gluon/_compat.py,
there's hardly any additional work for cross-version support, at least that
I can see. ".  In my limited experience (making the web2py-manual official
app compatible with PY2 and PY3), once you've learned how to use io.open
and _compat.py it's quite easy to make old apps compatible with PY3 while
retaining PY2 compatibility. And I'm certainly not a professional developer
;-)
So, for the web2py framework itself all the work has already been done -
kudos to all the contributors! For future bug fixes and improvements, the
effort to fix it also for PY2 takes a fraction of what is needed to manage
and debug +test two dedicated code bases. This is really a nightmare.
For old applications, it's up to their creators. The path to the future is
clearly to make them cross-compatible until they'll be able to totally
switch their systems to PY3.
For new applications that want to survive, PY3 is quite mandatory nowadays.

Anyhow, I agree hat we should better support python3 in any ways. For
example, a lot of help is needed to rewrite and check the official manual.
Also, for new users, we should strongly suggest to use python3 only.  For
helping with this, I've already opened the issue #2027
<https://github.com/web2py/web2py/issues/2027>  in order to have binary
versions of web2py with python 3.x included.

Cheers,
Nico