Hey John,

I have used datatables with web2py in some projects and it was faster than
smartgrid when used in server mode.
Whenever I had performance problems was because the code used .count() to
show the total number of records. In my case the tables have several
millions of records and that was way too slow.
That's a common problem in many databases engines, not a datatables problem.

When using an aprox. number instead of executing the sql count() command,
the datatable works fine showing hundred of rows from a table.

You have to make your own code for the server side, to support filter or
sort if you need them, but it's quite straightforward.

José L.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/web2py/CAHpm-q2R19-kd7VqSMmEQbFL7ggKG3d_2UHMz_uF3E7WkMPQjw%40mail.gmail.com.