Oops, I still don't know how to achieve it. Here is why:

This is from the javascript code on the page:

            var description = $(this).text();
            var
url='{{=URL('cart','description'),args=[id],vars=[dict(description=description)]}}';

So, the variable description belongs to javascript, and it's presumably
impossible to access it in {{...}} sections, unless I am missing something.
Any code in {{...}} is executed and built on the server side, and then
delivered to the browser, so while on the server, those javascript
variables are inaccessible. OR is there a way to somehow access them????

Of this is this case, then I am stuck to having var
url='{{=URL('cart','description')}} and then url += description, hence I
now have to use encoding/decoding solution...

Is there a way to solve this without encoding / decoding???

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/web2py/f820d967-bbfe-4a24-aab6-c8a80b8cec3e%40googlegroups.com.