let me be a bit more specific, as my problem is apparently in missing
something very basic:

here is a quote from PythonAnywhere docs: "...for each additional domain
name, you need to set up another PythonAnywhere web app from the web tab.
This time though, you should choose "manual configuration". Then, go and
edit your WSGI file. You should make it into a copy of the WSGI file for
the first web2py application, so that both domains point at the same web2py
installation. Then the web2py routes.py should work."

So this is perfect, and routes.py works indeed. However, it doesn't work
fully for the root domains:

routes.py can only have only entry corresponding to "/", for example:

routes_in = (
   ( '/' ,' /app1/cont1/func1'),

 )

This will take care of www.domain1.com .

Now, if I want to point www.domain2.com to /app2/conf2/func2 - I have no
way to handle this (unless I am missing something very basic here). I would
at least need to specify something like this:
 ( '/app2', '/app2/conf2/func2' ) which will take care of
www.domain2.com/app2 but the root www.domain2.com will still be redirecting
to /app1/cont1/func1, as per the only "/" entry in routes.py, as "/"
doesn't distinguish between domains.

What am I missing? How can I handle this properly??

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/web2py/3da3ff6e-c29d-4a8e-a235-1b18c6df4cbc%40googlegroups.com.