Thanks for the extra info. In my scenario I have schools, teachers,
subjects, classes and students. At the Classes level there will be hundreds
eventually (new ones each term). Your school limits what subjects you can
see. The teacher limits what classes she can see etc.

If I understood you correctly you are suggesting to use the auth
functionality built into web2py. Do you think that is still appropriate
when there are potentially hundreds of groups?

And second, I think I read that py4web uses a different approach with
tags(?) Is that correct?

Thanks