The only thing that comes to mind is to put your sort data into the
database so you have something to sort on. If it is a single user app then
it's easy - add a new column called sortid and put your custom sort order
their.

Multi user needs a second table to join on which might mess with smart
grid.

If you are not trying to display a lot of data you could make a copy of the
table in memory using your order and give that to smart grid.

You can also modify (for that one call) the actual table. I am not sure how
that works for adding fields though. Perhaps you could add a field and put
your data in. It might magically disappear after the function closes. Or
you could drop the field manually if it didn't.