Thank you for your response, I tried as suggested, but did not succeed.

[...]
    from io import BytesIO
[...]
    response.headers["Content-Type"]=contenttype(".pdf") # version 1
    #response.headers["Content-Type"]=contenttype("application/pdf") #
version 2
    #response.headers["Content-Type"]=contenttype("application/pdf;
charset=latin1") # version 3
    response.headers['Content-disposition'] = 'attachment;
filename=mypdf.pdf'

    return BytesIO(pdf.output(dest='S')).getvalue()

I tried the 3 versions of the 'content-type' and the response with BytesIO

Meanwhile I found a solution with storing an intermediate pdf-file locally
on the server and serve it.

Anyway - it would be interesting to get a 'direct' solution.

Thanks for your help!