Scot et.al.;
    I believe I am having the same strange problem.  I am using web2py
version  2.21.1 with python 2.7.5

    I found that particular line of code tyou mentioned in
web2py/gluon/tools.py about line: 3468

     "if not self.settings.email_case_sensitive:

               table_user.email.requires.insert(0, IS_LOWER())"

    Is the best solution to simply enter the email address for login in
lower case?  Is it possible to edit that line of code in tools.py?  I
realize your post is 4 years old.  Maybe this bug has been fixed.

best, Tele Tom