I have done this before, but not using SQLFORM.grid

In a nutshell

1. Create table tag
2. create your table header
3. create a temp variable last_item_name and set to None
4. loop through all the data you're going to display
5. in the item_name column, check if the current item name is equal to
last_item_name - if it is, put blanks in that cell, if not, put the item
name
6. set last_item_name = current item name

Not pretty or clever, more of a brute force way to get it to work.

-Jim