My first thought was to check this when an user has logged in. Having a
redirect after login to a controller checking the time, the last payment
was made, can then produce a corresponding message.

I googled "web2py redirect after login" and found how to do a redirect
after login:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18902549/web2py-redirect-after-login

Is it what you want?

Best regards