Hi,
When you call the function from web page, it should be return something.
After that, you can call that from Javascript.
 I've created a sample function as below:

@auth.requires_login()
def getSettings():
    setId = request.vars.setId
    record = []
    try:
        record = db(db.settings.id == setId).select().first()
msg = "Found"
    except:
        msg = "Error or not found"

    # result in json format
    rbc = {"result": 0,
           "params": record["params"],
           "message": msg}
    return json.dumps(rbc)

When you call the function from web, it returns a json object:

// http://192.168.0.142:8000/myapp/settings/getSettings?setId=5

{
  "result": 0,
  "params": [