I tried to get a PASE version running a while ago with no luck.  But I
am not adept at AS400 use.  You could try ActivePython's distribution:

http://www.activestate.com/activepython/downloads

Let me know how it goes.  I would love to be able to move some of my
apps over to our AS400 for nothing other than redundancy.

-tim