exactly....  it suppose to use a relative path... from the library:

/*
 * Thickbox 3.1 - One Box To Rule Them All.
 * By Cody Lindley (http://www.codylindley.com)
 * Copyright (c) 2007 cody lindley
 * Licensed under the MIT License:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
*/

var tb_pathToImage = "images/loadingAnimation.gif";

/*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! edit below this line at your own risk

//on page load call tb_init
$(document).ready(function(){
    tb_init('a.thickbox, area.thickbox, input.thickbox');//pass where to
apply thickbox
    imgLoader = new Image();// preload image
    imgLoader.src = tb_pathToImage;
});