On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Yarko Tymciurak <yark...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Think!   (ask these questions in your view, and think of how to handle it;
> then think if there is any better place to handle it; then decide --- T H I
> N K!!! ;-)

Oh, heck - you're a newbie, and hopefully you did some more thinking before
you see this response...

Massimo is fond of showing the right answers (which is great, don't get me
wrong);
I find more joy in finding the right questions (for they lead to the right
answers, or sometimes more than one...)

So -

one thing you are missing (I think) is that the view and the controller do
not share variables - you have to pass them in a dict; you are only passing
form;   Massimo's example passed a value.  That' step one.  You discovered
step two - you must somewhere be sure that the value is a valid string (even
if empty).

return dict(form=form, name=auth_user.first_name)

{{ if not name:   name = "" }}

Does that help?

- Yarko