I have given my question some more thought. Is it possible to generate
the tables related to authorization and authentication in the base
app, which also contains the other table definitions of my apps. And
then in the cms app just uncomment the following lines of code:

from gluon.tools import *
auth=Auth(globals(),db)                      # authentication/
authorization

crud=Crud(globals(),db)                      # for CRUD helpers using
auth

mail=Mail()                                  # mailer
mail.settings.server='smtp.gmail.com:587'    # your SMTP server
mail.settings.sender='y...@gmail.com'         # your email
mail.settings.login='username:password'      # your credentials or
None
auth.settings.mailer=mail                    # for user email
verification

... and add the table definitions for the auth_event, auth-group,
auth_membership, auth_permission and auth_user tables and set
migrate=False on these tables. In that case I wil have all my .table
files in one application and only one sql.log file.

Kind regards,

Annet.