On Feb 4, 2010, at 9:02 AM, Thadeus Burgess wrote:

> 1. I do not capitalize name because this is actually what you are
> attempting to call your column, it could be 'select', 'Select',
> 'SELect'. It just seemed more logical to display the name that you
> wrote. Though it can be capitalized. I thought you were referring to
> the name of the database it was part of.

I'm not sure what you're replying to here. I was suggesting changing the
literal string 'sql' to 'SQL'.

> 2. Yes, but then you wouldn't be able to do
> self._adapter.KEYWORDS_COMMON or db._adapter.KEY.... I don't see a
> reason for the following either, adding yet another import to
> web2py... (though I agree, I don't like how long dal/sql.py is either)
>
> # pseudocode
> class BaseAdapter(..):
>    KEYWORDS_COMMON = from keywords import KEYWORDS_COMMON

Perhaps the long-term solution is to look at how dal.py could be modularized.

> 3. Good point, I agree, SyntaxError it is.
>
> 4. Its no different than the "if if hasattr(self,tablename) or
> tablename[0] == '_': and if tablename in self.tables: checks that
> already exist there.

I'm conjecturing that testing against a long mutable array is expensive. I
could be wrong, of course.

> 5. You say that you don't want to proliferate more flags into the
> web2py environment. I ask, how then would you know what database you
> want to check against?

Ah, I see. No, that's not my point. My point is not proliferation of options in
general; it's proliferation of options that need to be changed for production.

It's not that hard to work around, of course; I can always define a global
production flag.