web2py runs flawlessly in Python 2.6. I've been running it for several months. All python code (web2py included) that runs on 2.5 runs on 2.6 as well. The inverse is not true however. The main purpose of Python 2.6 (and the upcoming 2.7) is to facilitate code migration to Python 3.x. It serves as a bridge being as close to compatible with Python 3.x without breaking 2.5 apps.

If you run Python 2.6 some standard library modules might issue a warning about using deprecated features (cgitb comes to mind) but that is about the only difference you'll see.

web2py currently has no plans to support 3.x due to its backward compatible nature. Something will eventually come along but certain standard libraries are badly broken in 3.x that need fixing before porting a web framework is really plausible. These items needing fixing are the cgi module and the email module it depends on. Work is currently underway to fix the email module. Once that is done, I plan on submitting a patch for the cgi module. Once these issues are addressed, I predict that Python 3 will become the web-language of choice due to the possibility of unladen-swallow being merged in.

I write my web2py apps in Python 2.6.

-tim