2 things:

1. i've not observed this limit when running queries on GAE.  i've
gotten as many as 14,000 records back when running in the production
environment.  though it runs way too slow, and i end up eating up my
30 seconds.
2. somewhere (i can't remember where) a paging technique was suggested
that if you want pages of 100 records, ask for 101, if you get 101
records then you know there is at least 1 item to show on the next
page.  perhaps this sort of technique can be adapted for your
purposes?

good luck!

christian