This is the first I'd heard of x-sendfile so I looked it up. It seems to work to off-load work from the application server to the web-server for serving large files.

In theory, there would be no real benefit from this in Rocket since Rocket and web2py run in the same process. Serving a file from disk is hardly a CPU-intensive process for a threaded system. The only benefit would be to allow the GC to collect some of the request environment stuff earlier. I can't see this having a measurable benefit.

For Apache and LightTPd, it makes a more sense when the app-server runs in a different process.

-tim