I do not have a strong opposition and I see the advantages in terms of
notation but I have two problems:

The page:slug notation is handled by plugin_wiki, not by markmin.
markmin just treats url, #anchor, url#anchor, page:slug all in the
same way. plugin_wiki replaces the page:.. with /app/plugin_wiki/
page/.... after markmin has done its job.
This decoupling was intentional to allow markmin to work without
web2py and without plugin_wiki conventions.
Your first suggestion would introduce coupling. Moreover it would
provide a shortcut that encourage users to display the slug as text of
the link. I am not convinced this is a good idea.

Massimo