Thank you for the extended description.
This is almost exactly what I had been following. I had skipped the
arguments partially because I think Eclipse is not taking them. When I
enter the arguments and then go to the interpreter tab to "see
resulting command line for the given parameters" (button), they do not
appear. Other commands do appear, but not what I've entered into the
arguments tab.  Do yours appear there?

Aptana gave the same behavior as Eclipse, but I'm not surprised.

I might try re-downloading web2py's source - perhaps something got
corrupted.

Pablo