i use the google app engine's provided bulk loader for dumping and
restoring data.  it's supposed to deal with keeping ID's in sync, and
has been fine for me so far.  the trouble with it is that you have to
have the GAE SDK installed to use it - you can't do it via either the
web2py interfaces or the GAE admin interfaces.

i can provide examples if desired.  (just FYI i'm traveling and my
response time might be a tad slow).

cfh