not sure if something like that is implemented, but here's what you can do:

before validating form:
1. check if email is given in post vars (instead of username)
2. if it is, make select query to db to find out username related to given
email
3. change variable (if email is given in username field, insert username
instead)
4. username will be sent to validation instead of email

you'll be using username field for login, but you can set label to "username
or email"

not sure if this fits, but if it is ok, i can give you exact code (i use
something very similar to this)