Hi All,

  Last weekend I had participated in the startup weekend Dublin (
http://dublin.startupweekend.org/) as a back end dev. I had shown my team
how easy it is to use web2py if compared with Java or PHP. Few persons were
not convinced and were proposing to use phpcake... So I gave a quick demo,
starting from downloading web2py from the official website, I created a
model with some validations, a simple CRUD and a page with some query (used
later as json for a JS library). After that quick demo we decided to use it
for the whole weekend. People (none of them had never used web2py before)
gave good feedback ! At the end of the weekend, most of the effort was
dedicated to the UI as the BE (web2py) had few actions in a single
controller and the longest action had around 10 lines of code.

The positive feedback that I perceived from people were: it is very easy to
create CRUD with good validation; Very easy to change a model without the
need of modifying the DB (migration is lovely); It is so easy to create a
json/xml service and it can also been displayed as html ! auth/registration
is provided out of the box. It is so easy to add a new controller/action. It
works in GAE without modifying the code ...

On the other hand, the criticism could not be avoided... the first criticism
came when a team member tried to connect a new app created with the wizard
to janrain as explained in the book and it didn't work (I've sent an email
about that to the list). The second criticism arrived when we tried to add a
map using the plugin_wiki and it didn't work. And the worst criticism came
when just 20 minutes before the project presentation (that was on Sunday),
we deployed on GAE and json/xml didn't work... Panic !!!! we expected a json
with coordinates to display on a map.... and we wanted to show it on the
cloud... so we "solved" hardcoding those coordinates in the HTML (bye bye
ajax)....

So the final thoughts from people were something like: "...web2py is great,
very fast to learn a very clever... but it doesn't look very stable... I
wouldn't mind to use a 6 months old version as long as it is virtually bugs
free... ".

After all, I felt that people liked it. I'll keep in touch with them and
will see if in few months time we got some new followers ! I am not using
web2py consistently, but every time that I use it I fall in love with
its simplicity. Just wondering why it doesn't seam get traction among
developers...

Sebastian

--
Sebastian E. Ovide