OK, I've got a version that appears to build successfully - had to re-write
the code to gather the list of data_files - reglob() didn't return files in
expected format.  It's working but currently is including a bunch of windows
API files in the dist directory, so it would NOT be appropriate for public
distribution as-is without removing those files first (Danger, Danger Will
Robinson licensing issues!). I'll see if I can figure out how to exclude
them in the first place or at least automatically remove them with a
secondary batch script.