First, you clone web2py from Google Code:
hg clone https://web2py.googlecode.com/hg/ web2py

Then, to update web2py, you go in to the "web2py" directory and issue these
two commands:
$ hg pull
$ hg update

This will not touch "applications/yourapp".

Then, my "init" app is a second mercurial repository that is totally
independent from the web2py repository. You have two options here: you can
either configure the copy on your hard drive to be the main repository or
specify some other server to be the central repository. I use Bitbucket as
my main repository. I "hg pull" to my hard drive and I also "hg pull" to my
Ubuntu server. I'm not sure exactly how to deploy to GAE.

As a version control newbie as well, and on a Mac, I've had good times with
MacHG. But it's also useful to learn the command line. The tutorial I like
is hginit.com