Agreed, I looked at all the usual suspects for a Python framework and came
to the conclusion web2py was the best integrated of any and represented the
path of least resistance to getting work done with well chosen defaults in
the design and a well defined way of implementing applications. The admin
functions helped a lot as well. Nothing since starting to work with web2py
has changed my mind on the choice I made. I spent years in the land of Java
before this so am familiar with working with databases from using an ORM
down to writing my own SQL in JDBC. I like the DAL, close enough to the
database that you don't lose sight of it in a slew of object mappings but
far enough away from the drudgery of doing it all by yourself. The layering
of the controllers and views over top is icing on the cake as they say, no
reference to CakePHP intended. :-)