Within my web2py app, I am using the pygooglechart module to
create .png files for QRCodes to display the url to audio files like
these:

http://publicradioroadtrip.appspot.com/publicradioroadtrip/default/view_collection/383010

This all works great on my local computer, however, when I try to
deploy this on Google App Engine, I am getting .png files with sizes
of 0 bytes.

I have a "story" table with a "qrcode" property (an upload field)
which I update programmatically using:

myset = db(db.story.id == story_id)
myset.update(qrcode = db.story.qrcode.store(opener, filename))

You can see the full code here:
http://code.google.com/p/publicradioroadtrip/source/browse/controllers/default.py?r=f8f86339376c671ef77501abf7d9e0ffbc04c07e#83

I realize that you cannot write to the filesystem using GAE, but I was
under the impression that there were ways of getting around this
restriction by storing the data into an upload field.

Does anyone have any ideas on why I would be generating image files
with sizes of 0 bytes on GAE and how I might resolve this issue?