I am actually using web2py as a JSON-RPC service now. Using RPC, you can
make a web2py application act like you are running functions on the local
machine. This is most commonly used to provide a desktop application that
can interface with your web service. Right now, I have a web2py installation
running on a server that has a serial port connection to a piece of hardware
and my application talks to the device on the other end of the serial cable.
I didn't want to write a web interface for it on that same machine, as I
wanted to integrate the functionality with a larger web2py application
running on a web server.

So the main web server runs my web2py application as normal, and when a user
needs information from the serial-connected device on the other server, my
application makes a JSON-RPC call to the machine that communicates with the
device, and it returns the result.