I have a situation where I need to adjust an SQLFORM field to be
non-editable.  I can do that with .writable = False, but that seems to
also prevents database I/O for that field.  What I'm trying to do is
set a default that cannot be changed.

Is there a way to set an SQLFORM field so that it appears as a label
on the form itself, but is still writable for the database?

For reference, I'm doing this with a field in the form returned by
auth.register, so I cannot insert code between the form creation and
the accepts call.  I believe I'm restricted to working with the model
before calling auth.register, or by using custom forms.

Jay