Thanks, pbreit, for the link!  Long thread!!!

I read it all, but am still unclear how to force registration with a
pre-defined name and email
(I'll have DB entries such that each unique invite token is associated with
a pre-defined name and email).

I was hoping to do something like this:

def user():

if request.args(0)=='invite':
# person has clicked on their invite  which takes them to
....default/user/invite?token=aalsfjlkajflasjflkasjdfl

# use the token to look up name and email
invite_info = db( db.invite.token == request.vars.token ).select().first()

form = auth()   # ??? how to make it a registration form ???

# ? Somehow, insert predefined name and email into registration form,
#    and make them READONLY

? form.first_name = invite_info.first_name
? how to make the field READONLY ? (I think I should change the db.auth
definition in db.py !)

? form.last_name = ...
? form.email  = ....

return dict(form=form)

However (aside from not knowing how to set the fields), this does not work:
- a simple test case with dummy code returns 404 Not Found  unless  I
comment out the call to   form=auth()

the test case:
    if
request.args(0)=='invite':

          form =
auth()

          response.view =
'default/invite.html'

          return dict(msg='hello', magic='banana', results='tada')

(commenting  out form=auth()   makes it fine, otherwise 404 Not Found)

I suppose auth()  was not designed to be manipulated this way?

Ultimately, what I don't know how to do is to create a registration form
with predefined name and email, so the user just has to pick a password.

Thanks!!!
Luis.