I added it to default.py controller, so it is working as an action
there.

When i go to that URL  (.../default/excel_report), the file downloads
as "excel_report" with no extension.  I am testing using Mac OS, so
not sure if that matters.  The file is fine.  When i rename it with
the .xls extension it opens in my spreadsheet application.

Thanks,
Dave