Thanks, Vineet!  Lot's of good info there!

I don't have actual code yet, because I couldn't even get the db queries to
work in a reasonable amount of time.

The little code I showed in my initial post already runs slow  ( my DB
records are db.itemEntry, not db.table ...).

The slowness (so far) is due to doing a query/select on a very large DB.
I need to figure out how to query/select more efficiently.

I wonder if the problem is with sqlite3 itself, since it stores the entire
DB in a single file.

I have constructed index tables for the fields I am searching on, but it is
still incredibly slow.
(see post below in reply to Massimo too!).

Thanks!
Luis.