I am using this in AnimalSystem.com.br for two purposes..

Clinical reports are saved by veterinary laboratory in a local shared
folder, so from system I have a "Fetch reports" button which goes to Dropbox
folder and take the docs. teh accounts are configured by users and strored
in a database.

Also I am running a local version of the system in some clients, on the web
it runs with Postgres, but sometimes clinic must be without connection so
they access a read-only local sqlite database. This sqlite datatabase are
sync in Dropbox using the API because user configures accounts in system
settings.

I am also planning a mobile app to run in android for veterinarians to post
pictures and movies, Dropbox seens to be a nice solution for this too.

Everything is in beta until the next month when we are going to release a
public version.