On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 10:46:01 -0700 (PDT)
Massimo Di Pierro
<massimo.dipie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We need to do this....

+1

When I asked in Django about some CMS, the answer was: build one your self!*

* situation in the meantime has changed a bit and now there are some decentt
* CMS engines like Django CMS, FeinCMS, Mezzanine...

However, as Richard said in some posts below, I'm not a geek in the sense to
write everything from the scratch, but would prefer working with higher-level
components (like add-ons in Concrete5 parlance) in order to build web sites.

Of course, by taking advantage of Web2py and diving into writing plugins, one
may evolve into geek or not, but, at least, there is space to contribute to
web2py's ecosystem and make it more widely adopted by not so savvy users.

> Actually I would like that be part of the book 4th ed and that is
> causing some delays.

I'm patient to receive good ed of Web2py book...

> web2py.com/appliances is crap and should be disappear.

I fully agree with that.

> The plugin sites should be merged into one that makes it easy for
> people to contribute.

+1

> Instant-press is the de-fact CMS and I think it can be packaged with
> other apps (for example PyForum, pyStack, IssueTracker, etc) to build
> a suite of production tools perhaps using federated authentication.
> plugin_wiki needs modules for rss, ics, shopping cart and payments,
> and google maps.

It sounds as nice master-plan. I'd like to contribute, but I'm afraid if web2py
noob can be competent enough to "separate the wheat from the chaff".

Hopefully, more experienced web2py users can jump in and help to organize
web2py site on a higher or component-level.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)