I'm using the Field in a rather unconventional way - I just have a
number of Field objects in a class that I refer to as my model (its
not actually connected to any database), and I use the SQLFORM.factory
to generate the form. The actual Field entry in the form looks like
this:
AutoStart = Field('AutoStart', 'boolean',
    label=T("info"))

in the view I use it inside a custom form like so:
<dd>{{=form.custom.widget.AutoStart}}{{=form.custom.label.AutoStart}}</dd>

the resulting HTML is:
<dd><input class="boolean" id="no_table_AutoStart" name="AutoStart"
type="checkbox" value="on">info</dd>

pretty straight forward, but you can see that the value is somehow there.

Matt