DAL does not cache anything unless you explicit pass "cache" argument to
select()

db(db.config.name=='api_key').select(db.config.value, cache=(cache.ram,
50)).first().value

Are you sure the value has changed in database?

Are you assigning the returned value in to a to level class attribute? it
can be fixed in the compiled script you are running, if you are doing this
with a class do it as an instance variable.

if you open web2py in shell mode

$python web2py.py -S yourapp -M

And performs the query, what is the value returned?

--

Bruno Rocha
[http://rochacbruno.com.br]