Gotta after some debugging: post_vars was missing

So this will verification will work for username or email login:

        if request.vars.username and not IS_EMAIL()
(request.vars.username)[1]:
            auth.settings.login_userfield = 'email'
            request.vars.email = request.vars.username
            request.post_vars.email = request.vars.email
            request.vars.username = None
            request.post_vars.username = None